February 17, 2010

Chicken Salad - History

I have always loved a good Chicken Salad. By good, I mean one that is light on the dressing. I don't like a heavy dressing that covers up the flavor of all the other ingredients. The dressing should simply be there to bind all the ingredients together as one and heighten the flavors.

One day, quite awhile back, I was browsing through a cooking magazine when I came across an interesting Chicken Salad recipe. Interesting because it contained fruit. I actually had everything on the ingredient list so I whipped up a bowl. It was wonderful! My oldest daughter and I both loved it more than nearly any Chicken Salad we had ever eaten. It was definitely worth a repeat.

BUT..... before we could make it again, the recipe had disappeared. We kept hoping to find it, but as time went on, we never did. And we could not remember how we made it. But we did remember that what we liked best about it was the grapes and the light dressing.  So I decided to take the best qualities of all the Chicken Salads we had ever eaten and try to create a Chicken Salad recipe that was our ultimate favorite. So after only two tries, the Chicken Salad recipe you see posted here is my scrumptious result. It is now, my all-time favorite Chicken Salad, and my daughter loves it as well. With just a couple of crackers on the side, it is a complete meal on it's own. Made ahead, it is an excellent high protein, low fat, vitamin packed lunch in a hurry. And making it ahead gives it time for all the flavors to blend together perfectly.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. If you have an variations to it that you like, I would love to hear them. Either post your variations here in the comments or email them to me at: tentfire@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment